Friday, August 03, 2012

What the Chik-Fil-A Thing is All About

I noted a lot of antipathy, real or manufactured, to the Chik-Fil-A pheonomenon on Wednesday and later.  From both sides of the aisle, so to speak.  Someone said something to the effect of, "This isn't a real story.  With all that's going on, why are we getting so excited about fast-food chicken?"

Well, I'm here to tell ya'.  Cause ya' see, I'm terribly excited by this.  In fact, I just came back from my first trip to Chik-Fil-A.  Today is Friday, two days after CFA Appreciation Day and the day of the supposed Homo-Kiss In.  I didn't see any gay action at CFA at the Pheasant Lane Mall in Nashua, but the line for food was blocking the path to the rest of the food court.

The chicken sandwich, while not revolutionary cuisine, was probably the best fast-food chicken I've ever had.  Tasted very moist and fresh.  The service was outstanding.  The woman who took my order had a badge that said "Serving 11 Years".  You don't see that too often in the fast-food biz.

Why'd I go?  To shove it up the ass of the liberal elites, so to speak.

What folks don't seem to realize yet (and this is always the way) is that the Progressives have become the conservatives.  The Chik-Fil-A Eat-In was a protest movement.  The old boss would post signs that say "Hippies Need Not Apply".  The new boss posts signs that say "Traditional Values Not Welcome".  To the city elders of New York, Boston and Chicago - I say "shove it, sirs".

Side story - I posted somewhere online about joining a prayer protest against the HHS Contraception Mandate.  Someone online asked, "Do you think that's a good thing to do - holding signs and chanting about the evil government?"  Can't you see some old-timer saying that to a hippy back in the 60s?

I'll grant that it is a weird flip-flop.  The salt-of-the-earth people rising in revolt against their effete-intellectual leadership.  I think we're going through a bizarre cultural shift at present.  The children of the sixties have become our new mainstream and the result is bizarre juxtapositions like Bruce Springsteen, arguably the richest man in New Jersey, singing songs about the evils of private property.  And without irony, mind you.  In total seriousness.

Based on the Chik-Fil-A Inquisition, I will make two predictions:
  • There will be a backlash against Progressives in general, and homosexuals in particular.  Things like this, and this, and this are examples of folks using power to defend values that a lot of people just don't hold.  As I've said before, hard economic times tend to make people more conservative, and I wonder if some of these folks are going to find the bottom dropping out on them.  A Catholic friend used to say, "You know when all of this blows up, we're going to have to defend the homosexuals, right?"  And it's true - I don't promote violence against anyone, but there's violence a' comin'.
  • The same-sex marriage debate isn't going anywhere.  Folks that think that Alabama's rural populace is going to sit by while you redefine marriage in their state are sorely mistaken.  To hear some people talk, you'd think that gay marriage is a fait accompli.  Not by a long way, sonnybuck.  Maybe if you live in Manhattan, or, let's say, 50 miles from the coast.  There's a lot of red on that map.

No comments: